2 teaspoons sea salt
400g bakers flour
100g wholemeal flour
330g lukewarm water
1 sachet dried yeast
75g walnut halves
75g dried figs, roughly chopped
semolina, for dusting
- Place all ingredients, except walnuts and figs, into TM bowl in the order listed.
- Blend together for 15 seconds/speed 7.
- With dial set to closed lid position, knead for 3 minutes/interval speed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and press it gently into a rectangle. With the short side facing you, scatter the walnuts and figs over the dough. Roll and tuck in both ends as you roll the dough into a log. Turn 90 degrees and repeat 4 times until the ingredients burst out. Ensure the seam is up before pressing out.
- Place into a bowl and cover until doubled in size.
- Knock back by placing the dough on a lightly floured surface and pushing the dough away from you using the heel of your hand. Roll back up as before and repeat 4 times. Knock back 2 more times at 20 minute intervals.
- To shape, repeat kneading method above. Place dough onto a oven tray dusted with semolina, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove for about 1 hour, or when doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 240 degrees.
- Uncover dough and make several slashes on top using a serrated knife.
- Place a tray with a handful of ice cubes on the bottom of the oven and then place dough into oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden and sounds hollow when tapped.