Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Baby Food (Vanilla Custard)

Most store-bought custards are largely made up of water, sugar, colours and other additives. This recipe, unlike many other custard recipes, is sugar-free and uses only egg yolk, making it suitable for babies from 6 months onwards.



Ingredients:
1 organic pear, peeled, cored and quartered
1/2 MC water
250g milk
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Method:
  1. Place the pear and water into the TM bowl and cook for 8 minutes/100 degrees/speed 2.
  2. Puree for 5 seconds/speed 8.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 7 minutes/90 degrees/speed 4.
  4. Transfer to a serving bowl, cool and serve.


Makes 2-3 serves

Tips and Tricks
Use fresh organic apple, nectarine, peach or apricot in place of the pear.

6 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo yum Caroline!
    I'm still trying to work out what MC water is?
    Have a lovely evening!!! ;O)
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC simply stands for measuring cup (the one that sits on the lid.) xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Caroline :)
      So glad I came across your blog! I have a little boy who I've just started on solids and until now I haven't had much success with finding recipes or advice on making baby food in the thermomix. Will definitely be trying your recipes once I have introduced the foods to him individually.
      Thank you :) Gemma

      Delete
    3. Hi Gemma, Making baby food is a cinch with the Thermomix. I actually don't bother making up huge batches to freeze, because it only takes minutes to make up a fresh batch which I usually do in the morning when I'm making breakfast for the other guys. I alternate between savoury (ie meat and veg) and sweet (fruit or custard) everyday, so there's always something in the fridge ready to go. Once you become confident you really won't need any recipes - you'll just make them up as you go. Please let me know if you need any other ideas. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline, this is probably a silly question.... What kind if milk do you use in the custard? I read somewhere not to introduce cows milk until 12 months...? Hope you had a great Xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma, Happy New Year. I started making this custard with cow's milk (unhomogenised and organic) for my baby when he was almost 12 months old, but you could use your usual milk (ie breast, formula, etc.)

      Delete