This delicious dish, served simply with a bowl of rice, is a complete meal. However, it can also be used as an accompaniment to a meat or fish curry.
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon ground chilli
150g red lentils, rinsed and drained
1 carrot, (skin on) chopped into bite sized pieces
1 potato (skin on) chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
coriander, for garnish
- Add onion to TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds/speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add sesame oil and mustard seeds and saute for 2 minutes/100 degrees/speed 1.
- Add tomatoes, chilli, red lentils, water, carrots, potatoes, ground tumeric and salt and cook for 15 minutes/100 degrees/ reverse + soft speed.
- Stir through olive oil, then add brown sugar and lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice and mango pickle.