Home made ice cream is a cinch to make - and you don't need a fancy ice cream maker either. I like to use unhomogenised full-cream milk and free range eggs - if you use good-quality ingredients your ice cream will look and taste so much better. Serve this with the Chocolate Tart (recipe coming up next) or in a bowl on it's own. YUM
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
pinch of salt
rind of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of orange marmalade
- Place all the ingredients into the TM (except for the orange rind and marmalade). Cook for 5-6 minutes/80 degrees/speed 4.
- Place the mixture into a stainless steel bowl and stir through the orange rind and let it cool.
- Place the bowl into a freezer for 5 hours, or until firm.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and place into the TM bowl. Mix for 20 seconds/speed 9, using the spatula to assist if necessary.
- Transfer the ice cream into a container (that has an airtight lid) and gently stir through the marmalade.
- Return to the freezer to set.
Makes about 1 litre.