Saturday, 3 August 2013

Ciabatta

Ciabatta is a classic Italian bread that has a lovely chewy centre and the most delicious crispy crust. This is a simple and easy recipe to make as there is no need for pre-ferments (ie biga or poolish) and is made with only four ingredients: water, flour, salt and yeast - that's it.

I generally make the dough during the evening and let it sit on the kitchen benchtop overnight. In the morning all I need to do is shape it and place it into a hot oven for half and hour and it's done. Hot, fresh, home-cooked bread ready in time for breakfast. There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread and the taste and texture is amazing.


Ingredients:
340g lukewarm water
1/4 tsp dry yeast
440g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp salt (eg Maldon Sea Salt Flakes)

Method:
  1. Place all the ingredients into the TM bowl in the order listed.
  2. Set the dial to closed lid position, and knead for 30 seconds/interval speed. (The dough should have the consistency of a thick cake batter.)
  3. Turn out the dough into a large bowl that has been well oiled (both base and sides) with olive oil.
  4. Cover with glad wrap and leave to prove for 12-24 hours. (It will triple in size and be full of large air bubbles.)
  5. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius.
  6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and dust liberally with plain flour.
  7. Carefully ease the dough out of the bowl and onto the baking tray, using either a spatula or dough scraper. Be gentle as you want to preserve the pockets of air. (You will have a relatively wet and roundish pile of dough sitting in front of you.)
  8. Using floured or wet fingertips to stop the dough sticking to your fingers, grab the edge closest to you and pull up and stretch over to the other side. Then grab the edge furthest from you and repeat the process. Gently shape the dough if necessary.
  9. Lightly spray the top of the dough with water (use a spray bottle or just flick some water with your fingertips.) This will help to form a crispy crust.
  10. Place the dough into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and sounds hollow when tapped. (To help to create some steam place an ovenproof bowl with 1 cup of water at the bottom of the oven. )
  11. When cooked, place onto a rack and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Easy Thermomix Ciabatta

TIPS: I used White Wings Plain Flour. Different flours and climatic conditions may require a slight adjustment to the amount of flour required. You're after a thick and wet cake batter consistency for the dough (make sure it's not dry or too runny.) After the dough has proved it will be quite sticky - use wet hands when you handle the dough to prevent it sticking.

You can flavour the bread by adding herbs, garlic or chopped olives during the initial 30 second knead.

After 12 hours proving

Oven tray lined with baking paper and well-floured

Scrape the dough onto the baking tray



The final stretch up and over the dough


Ready for the oven


Ready to eat!

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks amazing! Will give it a go this week, thinking it will pair well with some nice thick minestrone soup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie - It would be perfect with minestrone. Let me know how it goes - this recipe is on high rotation here at the moment and is my go-to recipe when I need fresh bread for the morning (and it's so easy to make.)xx

      Delete
  2. I was so impressed I made it to go with dinner tonight. I didn't think of it early enough, so it only had a 9 hour prove but it still worked well. Thanks for the tip on how to shape it. It made it look much more presentable. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and it's fab. Great recipes and lovely photos. I've subscribed. I'm often too frightened by bread to try anything much more than the classic EDC bread but your step-by-step photos have given me the courage to give this gorgeous sourdough a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made this countless times over the past month. Thank you so much for a brilliant recipe. I can see it on high rotation for a long time in this house. Jen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad you liked it. It really is so simple to make isn't it? It's one of my favourite bread recipes too. xx

      Delete
  5. SALIVATING!!!!! I don't have a thermomix but I might give it a go anyways (When I get my kitchen back)
    www.lasscreative.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to use a TM to make this (I just don't like kneading!) - just lightly combine the ingredients until you achieve the right consistency and follow the remainder of the recipe. It really is very easy and delicious! xx

      Delete
  6. I made this recipe and LOVED IT!! It was such a hit, we finished the full loaf within a couple of days! The effort involved was close to nothing, under 2 minutes to make dough and pop in oven (obviously minus rising overnight and baking). I've already passed this onto friends and family :). I went straight into adding olives and it came out beeeautiful,

    Only one question - I am trying to avoid consuming wheat as much as possible, and this delicious recipe makes it difficult to resist! Can SPELT flour be used in place of wheat flour?

    Thanks Caroline! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - and funny you should mention spelt. I actually made this ciabatta a little while back and didn't have quite enough flour, so I added about 100g of spelt flour to make it up. It turned out really well - the flavour was wonderful. I haven't tried to make it using 100% spelt flour, but I'd be interested to know how it turns out. xx

      Delete
  7. G'day! I had some of this at a friend's last week, true!
    Today I will be making! Thank you for inspiring me to also do!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day! As a friendly follow up, I made your recipe today today and it came out great!
    I will be featuring it via my blog post coming soon on http://www.whatsonthelist.net
    Here is a photo of what you inspired me; your recipe suggested by a friend:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zxtq-LXUbdU/Um9aFM7K0VI/AAAAAAAALzU/WWIZGLyVPKE/w1244-h830-no/IMG_6442.JPG
    Photo by Joanne T Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - this is definitely my go-to bread as it's so easy to make. We love it - glad that you too are happy with the results. xx

      Delete
  9. G'day Caroline! As a friendly follow up, made this again today, true!
    Definite keeper and a very big thank you!
    Here's the photo taken for me for my blog http://www.whatsonthelist.net
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Dvk88CmY-uTH4zYRziq0epgoXwDrHlCWsbS1PYd_bc0=w310-h207-p-no
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I can't wait to try this one, hubby is going to be happy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, am so happy to have stumbled upon your amazing site - can't wait to try this out, hubby's been asking for Ciabatta for ages…. Loved your egg yolk pear custard - it's the first egg my baby's eaten in his short little life & he loved it! So did the rest of the family :o) I'll be sharing your page on my Facebook page called Fun with my Thermie, keep it coming :o) xx
    http://www.facebook.com.au/Funwithmythermie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you just use rock salt ground in the TM?? That's all I have.

    Also, I decided to do this at midday today and don't think it will be ready by the time for bed. Can it stay in the bowl too long or would 10am tomorrow be OK??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you could use rock salt ground in the TM - I don't see why it couldn't wait till the morning. I usually make up the dough after dinner time (7pm) and cook in the oven the next morning around 7am. xx

      Delete